Sunday, December 30, 2012

Subway, Busses, and Motorcycles = A Perilous life

It's actually my final day in Shanghai, so perhaps you've already noticed, that I'm trying to get out all final observations before I go. There's always been one topic that's been on my mind and that's transportation in China. I'd like to run through the different experiences I've had on all the different types of transportation in China. Let's start big to small, shall we?

Plane: Just like any other plane in any other country. Except for the warm-up exercises at the end. So imagine, there you are peacefully or usually not so peacefully sleeping when you hear at lot of repetitive sounds "yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jiu, shi" followed by people clapping. You wake up to see your neighbor beating his fist up and down his arm. Your anxiety is only calmed once you see the flight attendant doing the same thing and issuing the next set of instructions: now beat your legs with your fist. Joking aside, I know the Chinese are probably doing something to help with circulation and that these warm up exercises are designed to help passengers wake up from the flight in order to get ready for landing. But the first time I experienced I thought I was still in some sort of weird dream.

Train: I never experienced the crowding of migrant workers onto trains during Golden Week. Instead, I rode in the most efficient train that I would even say was as efficient as German standards. On time to the minute and very comfortable.

Subway: There's a lot of people in Shanghai. And at rush hour, it can be life or death riding the subway...at least that's how it feels the way people act when trying to shove into a subway car. Sometimes, I've entered the subway car and in a matter of minutes, I'm clear at the other end! I usually just scratch my head and marvel at the magic that transported me to the clear other side of the car...then I realize, it was just the herd of Chinese people, which moved me there.

Bus: Yes, even busses get crowded during rush hour. But it's way worse than the subway. First of all, it's rush hour, which means their is an incredible amount of cars, motorcycles and pedestrians. Secondly, bus drivers don't think they are driving a big bus full of people but rather a race car! So they speed, cut off other drivers, slam on their breaks, and basically hold the string of your life in their hands. The only benefit of rush hour is you can't get pushed around due to the tens of human shields/buffers around you. The disadvantage; however, is the invasion of personal space. I've had to stand with my face 6 inches (15cm) from one small woman, as well as 5 inches (13) from an older man. You're so uncomfortable because you feel intimately close to these people and the whole time you are just wondering, "where the hell do I look??" After a few shifty eye movements, I think I finally settled to close my eyes.

Taxi: I think taxi might be my favorite except for the occasional adrenaline rush I get by a near death collision, or when I know the meter is ripping me off by going a mile a minute. However, when conditions are perfect, it's been my best opportunity to practice my Chinese. I've had many discussions over the past four months ranging from asking the taxi driver about his health to his feelings on how expensive apples and oranges are in Shanghai. "Shanghai ping guo tai gui le, Shanghai juzi bu tai gui."

Motorcycles: This is really for the people who like to live life on the edge. There are no rules for the motorcycle driver. Red and green...those are just suggestions. Also, when it comes to driving on the right side of the road...also just a suggestion. You'd be shocked to see how some Chinese families treat their mopeds like an American sedan. Child in front, then Dad, then Mom, all together on one tiny moped!

Bicycles: Same thing as Motorcycles/Mopeds but slower. The real silent killer though are the electric bikes which zoom up behind you without even making a peep.

Pedestrians: Fear for your lives. Green never means Go, it means "maybe it's a bit safer to go now" Also watch out for the spit.

I haven't really taken any great pictures of this myself, which I am very ashamed about (the shame!) but here's some pictures from the internet, which describe it best (no shame).


Exercises on Spring Airlines
Train to Hangzhou
Trying to get on the Line 2

Just hang on where you can in this Bus
Despite the cage that surrounds the driver, most I have talked to have been very friendly!

Attack of the Mopeds

The Chaos in general

No comments:

Post a Comment