Monday, September 10, 2012

Chinese Lessons, Ladies' Night and being a Tourist


So last time I updated I mentioned that I found a place to live and that I got my hair cut. But you are all probably wondering what is life like in general? Well first, how about some general observations:

The Chinese will talk to you as if you are fluent. Chinese people often start a conversation, I usually just smile and look bewildered. You would think they would see that I obviously don't understand a word they are saying. But in China, it's different. "Losing Face" is a big theme in daily life and instead of admitting that we don't understand each other, they simply continue on to ramble at the same pace. I think I'm going to start having conversations with them. I'll just casually chime in "Oh, you don't say." .... "No way! Me too!" And in the end, we can all have pleasant conversations about absolutely nothing.

Well, actually it may help that my Chinese classes have begun. So far, I can say all the letters and the numbers until 10....well for about 20 mins and then I forget them all. In general, I actually like the Chinese class and I think we are learning some useful things. But it is important to note that the Chinese teacher is "da boss". They know everything. Students know nothing. So my plan is to keep a humble attitude and to become the teacher's pet. 

Walking around I am one of few internationals. Shanghai is supposed to be a cosmopolitan city but I feel like the only foreigner where ever I go! Well, that was until we went out to an infamous "Ladies Night". Every Wednesday night in the city, different bars and restaurants host a Ladies Night where they offer drink specials. Us girls tried out Zapatas where they offered tasty (FREE) margaritas. It was a bar/restaurant with a lovely patio and terrace...and I finally discovered where all the internationals have been hiding! We met a lot of people from all over the world but I would say the biggest expat groups are definitely French and German (Germans are EVERYWHERE!) 

 Lara and I have also done some sight-seeing. My favorite place we discovered was Tian Zi Fang Shopping Street. You enter into a maze of tiny passage ways with tons of stalls. You can go into fancy shops or get cheap iPhone covers. There were also tons of restaurants: Thai, Indian, Spanish and little bars where people enjoy happy hour.

On Sunday, Lara and I tried out the hop on-hop off bus with our new friend Hanna. She's been here for a year learning Chinese. She's our unofficial Shanghai guide and I'm so happy to have met her....although I'm not so sure she's so happy about my constant interrogations. We hopped off at the Yu Yuan Gardens, where again you have a maze of pathways with antique shops and food. We had to take cover in Starbucks during the spontaneous monsoon rainstorm. But afterwards we walked a bit around and saw the entrance to the actual gardens. Its a zig-zag bridge because it keeps out the ghosts. Apparently, ghosts can't walk in a zig-zag. After the bus tour, we had some Shanghai dumplings. I think I'll eat about a 1,000 before I leave Shanghai. They are simply too good.

Picture time!!
Chinese Homework

Anna, Anne, and Me

The Girls on Ladies Night (Jitka is finally included!)

Not Ladies' Night, but the Hamburg Crew (+Mexican Roommate)

Tian Zi Fang Shopping



Hop on-Hop off Bus with Lara and Hanna

Yuyuan Garden

Zig zag bridge (no ghosts allowed)



Little Birds, yum or not yum?




  

1 comment: