Thursday, September 27, 2012

Toilet

Yes. As the title of this post suggests, I will be talking about the Chinese toilet. Perhaps some details may be inappropriate for publication on an internet blog. If this makes you uncomfortable, then kindly stop reading now....but let's face it, I've just made you all the more curious now.

In a marketing class back at SDSU, I heard that in Japan, toilets are state of the art. It's all about comfort whether that be a heated seat cover, water which sprays up to clean, or music to relax you while doing your business. I don't know why, but I thought it would be like this in China. I know: what was I thinking? In China, the common toilet is a hole in the ground. The first thing you need to learn is that you now have to carry about toilet paper where ever you go since it does not seem to be a necessary component of a public toilet stall. Also: you can not flush the toilet paper! So yes, throw it in the bin next to the hole and do not peek at what its contents may hold. Next, you need to learn the art of the squat. I find this especially challenging and now forgive me before I mention this: but believe it or not, there is aiming involved (I thought that was only a man thing!)

Now at the University there is always one "western/normal" toilet in the bathroom and it's a hot item for the exchange students, so I actually don't ever really use the Chinese toilet unless I have to.

I don't want to sound spoiled, but I am really NOT a fan of the hole in the ground. But hey, it's all about perspective. For the Chinese, the hole is totally normal. In fact, I think they are confused by the western style toilet. Point in case: at the mall one day, I went to the bathroom. Naturally, I went to the one stall which had a western-style toilet and I discovered two shoe prints on the seat cover. So...does that mean that the person before stood on top of the seat cover? Yes, I think it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment